Please join us in congratulating AAPN director Ron Roach, as, on On Nov 13, 2019, as President of Contempora Fabrics in Lumberton, NC, was presented with the 2019 Business Person of the Year by the University of North Carolina Pembroke!
Ron joined Contempora Fabrics, which was founded in 1972, in 1985. During our initial visit there on the 2018 AAPN Carolina Mill Tour (which was Ron and Alex Whitley's idea in the first place), we learned these facts:
- They produce 35 million yards a year, up to 4 million some months
- 210 people – employee owned
- Circular knits for corporate identity, team sports, performance, activewear, military, automotive.
- 70% finished fabric; 20% griege goods; 10% contract for others
- 85% of fabric is shipped to Mexico or CAFTA
- 75% is for team sports and performance
- 70% of production is poly, 30% is cotton
One the greatest compliments AAPN has ever received came from Ron who credited the AAPN 2010 meeting on Sustainability as changing their business model!!
Virtually every AAPN member who is a veteran of our events can tell you, by year, what they took from the meeting and implemented in their business.