Over the past several years, we have hosted 3 major industry events that no-one had ever tried before. They are:
1. The Regional Conferences 2016-18
2. The Carolina Textile Mill Tour 2018
3. The Apparel Summit of the Americas 2018
Each of these were not just ground breaking, they met the three criteria we have at AAPN for things we do:
1. No-one else was doing them
2. They would be fun and make a difference
3. We could actually DO them
Let’s take a look at the origin of these three success stories:
1. The Regional Conferences – Kevin Williams, Tony Anzovino, Laura Guthrie…..and Sue got together
2. The Carolina Textile Mill Tour – Ron Roach, Alex Whitley…..and Sue got together
3. The Apparel Summit of the Americas 2018 – Chuy Canahuati, Joe Cuervo, Juan Zighelboim…..and Sue got together.
Do you see this magic formula? A really small group…….and Sue. That’s it. Why does it work? Margaret Mead knew when she said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has”.
What is your idea for something that has never been done in our industry before? Here’s a hint from my career at IBM. Each of us there had a sign on our desk of our motto. It simply said:
So THINK of something that has never been done before, bring it to us, and do so with absolutely no doubt in your mind whatsoever about it working, just ask those people above……and the hundreds upon hundreds we touched with those 3 simple ideas.